Sunday, July 13, 2008

Flood of '08

Well as most of you know, we moved into a new house last April. Two months later, in June our basement flooded because of some broken sprinkler whatevers. It was a big pain and took a long time to clean up. Luckily not too much was damaged and Jake was able to fix our sprinklers. Last monday, the boys, Jake, Nathan and Stan left early in the morning to go backpacking in the mountains (away from all civilization). Sammy and I left around 9 in the morning to go play with Maegen and Carter at the Jenne's. Later that day, Maegen and I were running a few errands and decided to quickly stop at the house to grab a few things. I was grabbing stuff while Maegen went to look at our backyard, and lo and behold she saw a waterfall going into our basement. She ran inside and said "Jenn, your basement flooded again." I ran downstairs and both of us watched as water was just pouring into our basement. It almost seemed like from a movie. We both just kind of froze there and I was thinking what in the world do I do? Last time, Jake just took care of everything including turning off the water, which I didn't know how to do. I finally kicked into motion and ran across the street to our neighbors and luckily was able to find some manly help. He helped turn off the water and then stayed for almost 2 hours moving furniture and everything out of the room with Maegen. We then waited for the same restoration co. to come and they were there until almost midnight working on things while Maegen helped me go through everything wet and damaged which was worse than last time. I am so grateful for her help because I don't know what I would've done. Anyhow, our basement is still a mess and we are unsure of the complete damage but I am sure we will find out this week, lucky us. So that was one of our fun adventures of the week!

2 comments:

Lera said...

Oh Jenn, I'm so sorry! That is awful! Did it damage your papers?

Jenn said...

Luckily no but it was very close and so we were pretty lucky in that sense!