Monday, July 11, 2011

Ethan Jacob Jenne has arrived!!

Ethan Jacob Jenne

July 5, 2011

7 lbs 3 ounces

19 inches
Well this little guy has made it here!!! He definitely knew when he wanted to come that is for sure!! He didn't want to come on the 4th of the July and he didn't want to wait until the 6th when I was scheduled to be induced but he picked the early morning of July 5th!! I started having contractions on the 4th before we went to bed around 10. We were all pooped from getting up early to see the hot air balloons at the Provo Freedom Festival, and everything else we had done during the day including Jump on It and going to see Panda 2. I woke up around 1:30 am with painful contractions about 2 minutes apart and I knew it was time to go to the hospital! Jake's parents rushed over to be with the girls and we headed off. We got to the Payson hospital around 3. They hooked me up and found I was dilated to a 5. I immediately requested an epidural but since I tested positive for Strep B, I had to get the antibiotic going and running a bit before I could get it. I finally got the epidural around 4:00 am and wow!!! so thankful that I did. Anyhow, everything went quickly and Ethan was born at 6:54 a.m. weighing in at 7 lb 3 ounces and 19 inches long. The delivery went great and there weren't any of the complications that I had experienced before. They cleaned him up and he tested good for things and then the nurse gave him to me to hold. I held him for a minute (not knowing I wouldn't get to hold him again until 2 days later) and then his breathing got weird and so the nurse wisked him away to the nursery to have him checked out. It took a few hours while they did x rays and lab work to find he had a small hole in his lungs. They eventually decided that it would probably just heal on his own since it was so small. So they brought him back out and the girls and Jake's parents and my sisters and mom was there so everyone held him and passed him around. But a little while later, he started looking a little blue and breathing weird again. So the nurse took him back to the nursery. More tests and x rays were done and a few hours later, it was found that he had pneumonia and would have to be in the NICU. Depending on how he did, he would be there 5-10 days on the antibiotic. But since he was having a hard time breathing, he was put on oxygen and all we could do was hold his little hand (well the one not hooked up to an Iv). This was a really hard and emotional day since I wasn't able to hardly even see the baby I gave birth to earlier. Jake gave both Ethan and I blessings and that really helped to know that everything would be okay. Anyhow, the next day, he was breathing well on his own and they took him off the oxygen. From there on out, every day he kept making improvement and doing really well. Jake's parents, and my parents, and sisters watched and took care of the girls for the whole week that we were at the hospital and I was so grateful for that so I could stay there and nurse and hold Ethan as much as possible. The dr. came by on Monday morning and said that Ethan could be discharged that day and we were so excited!!!! It was so exciting to be able to come home and bring him with us. We have now been home for almost two days and it has been great!!!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you guys are doing okay! I'm glad that you are doing well and that Ethan is doing well! How scary! Again, so glad you're doing good!

mj said...

whew! you made it! i am so glad that you are home now and creating your new normal. good luck. enjoy that sweet baby boy. they are the best. ever.